Columbus Ohio Domestic Violence Attorneys
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE & ABUSE
Criminal courts in Columbus, and throughout Ohio, are extremely tough on domestic violence and domestic abuse. The criminal defense attorneys at Palmer Legal Defense are well-seasoned in the area of domestic violence. Our team of domestic violence attorneys understands the damage and the stress this can cause. Let us help you through this trying time and simplify the legal process for you.
What is domestic violence under Ohio law?
Domestic violence crimes are not limited to spousal relationships. The definition of domestic violence includes abusive relationships where physical violence, threatened violence, and/or other forms of abuse exist. This can be a roommate, parent, girlfriend, husband, or other close relationship.
Children and domestic violence
Children can experience domestic violence directly, indirectly, or both. When a child is the victim of physical striking, verbal abuse, threats, or sexual misconduct, it is ultimately seen as domestic violence.
A child suffers severe emotional distress when witnessing domestic violence and abuse. Therefore, if a child is present during the abuse of another, child endangerment charges may apply. Child endangerment is a very serious crime, so consult the defense attorneys at Palmer Legal Defense, L.P.A if you or a loved one is charged with such an offense.
EXAMPLES OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ABUSE IN COLUMBUS, OHIO
- Excessive pushing or throwing a person to the ground
- Ordering attacks from a trained dog
- Abusive Criticism
- Putting someone in fear for their safety or life
- Sexual Coercion
- Inappropriate or unwanted sexual comments
- Forced or unwanted sexual acts or advances
- Physical Assault
- Child Endangerment (when child witnesses the violence)
- Physical Child Abuse
- Emotional Child Abuse
- Sexual Child Abuse
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE STATISTICS
- A majority of domestic violence victims are women.
- Most emergency care for women is due to domestic violence.
- Urban hospitals report domestic violence revisit rates of 25%.
- When domestic violence results in murder, over 2/3 of the victims are women.
- Children who grow up witnessing domestic violence are more likely to be violent, suffer from anxiety, and have a higher risk of suicide and juvenile delinquency.
- Domestic violence costs the United States more than $500 billion every year.
- More than half of all female domestic violence victims suffer in silence.
- 32% of Americans admit to knowing a domestic violence victim violated within the past year.
- More than 8% of domestic violence victims are pregnant women.
Our criminal defense attorneys have represented many people accused of domestic violence. If you have been accused of domestic violence, you will need an experienced Ohio criminal defense attorney.
REACH OUT TO A COLUMBUS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ATTORNEY
The criminal defense attorneys at Palmer Legal Defense have represented many people accused of domestic violence. If you find yourself in this situation, you will need an experienced defense lawyer to handle your case. Call on one of our Columbus, Ohio-based domestic violence defense attorneys at 614-224-6142 to arrange an appointment or contact the firm online.